Friday, October 3, 2014

Noughts & Crosses

"Things go unsaid soon get forgotten"
Title: Noughts & Crosses

Author: Malorie Blackman

First Published: 2001

Series: The Noughts & Crosses Sequence, followed by Knife Edge

Available As: Paperback, ebook

My Rating: 8/10

The world is different than the way it is today. It's like it's gone back in time, with a twist. Society is separated into two: Noughts and Crosses. The Crosses are superior, while the Noughts are inferior. What's their key difference? Skin colour. The Crosses are black, while the Noughts are white.

Callum is a Nought, living in a world that despises his race. Sephy is a Cross, the daughter of one of the richest and most powerful man in the country. Callum and Sephy have been best friends since they were children, and their relationship starts to grow into something more. But their society is a tough one, one that is bent on keeping the two apart.

I loved the idea of the story, don't get me wrong! I don't support racism, but the idea was just so interesting on paper and words. It's a complete twist on history, where everything is reversed. The white people are hated on, the black people are powerful.

Callum and Sephy's relationship was like a light switch. They were on and off at times, sometimes they were mad at each other and stayed away from one another. At other times, they were best buddies and shared secrets.

Callum is a strong-willed guy who does what he thinks is right. He's also quite protective over Sephy, and wants what's best for her. A sweet guy, who made a couple of mistakes. Sephy? She's the kind of girl that thinks before she acts (most of the time).

The ending was just painful. It was just so sad! And it just made me freak out. I just had to read the next book! Though I was a bit disappointed a certain someone's POV will never appear again. (Cue the waterworks!)

This book is an amazing book, and it deals with all kinds of things. Racism, love, friendship, standing up for what's right. The story will be sure to stick in my heart for a long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi there! I hope you liked my post! I'd love to hear your thoughts, so if you'd like to drop me a little message/comment, that would probably make my day! :) Thanks for visiting my blog!