Wednesday, June 1, 2016

ARC: Supremacy

Title: Supremacy

Author: Christin Lee

First Published: June 3rd 2016

Series: Supremacy #1

Genre: YA, Fantasy, Romance(?)

Available As: eBook

Pages: 330

My Copy: eBook

My Rating: 8/10



Goodreads Summary

Kate Parker, is a 17 year old senior living in Texas. She's on the swim team, has two incredible best friends, and a passion for saving animals. She falls hard when she meets a mysterious and fascinating guy named Lucas. He has a sexy accent and a killer smile. However, she sees unexplained pain and anger in his dark brown eyes. He claims he’s a foreign exchange student from Spain who is attending the local University—Kate knows there’s more to his story than that. She works hard to discover who he is—what he is.

My copy was supplied to me by the author in exchange for a honest review. Thank you so much Christin! The fact that it was an ARC does not affect my review of it.

This was a pretty good book! Usually, Fantasy is difficult to write, but Christin Lee pulls through. The book was written simply, with no fancy words trying to impress the reader, and that is what makes it so effective. Although the story starts off pretty slow, it's good enough to keep reading. It begins like a YA high school story, and evolves into the fantastical elements. There aren't many cliff hangers or anything, so it was a pretty relaxing read (though I do think it would be better if there were more shocking moments). But when we begin to find out all the secrets... that's when things began to pick up the pace.

For me, the characters seem so normal and average in the beginning, it's difficult to think that there will be anything interesting that will happen in their lives, but I was so wrong! Kate seems like the average girl: smart, has an overprotective family, great friends, and falls in love with the mysterious boy. Seems like any YA novel, right? Wrong. Christin Lee manages to take a cliche plot line and twist it into something very original. Okay, the only really cliche part I didn't very like was the 'love at first sight'. Literally, love at first sight. They even felt sparks. Woah :O

What I was a bit unsure about was Lucas. Sure, he and Kate are a cute couple, but sometimes, his personality rubs me the wrong way. I can't blame him though, since he does have a different upbringing. Lucas is easily angered and quite very possessive of Kate. He is quick to hurt others to protect Kate - which should be flattering, but makes me feel a bit uncomfortable at the ease he does it.  He will even hurt his friends in order to find out where Kate is. Their relationship was really cute at first, but by the end of the book, I'm not so sure.

This is a really good debut novel and I recommend it for anyone who wants to read about a different side of Fantasy! Nothing like the faeries, werewolves or angels we see much of these days, but something completely different. I really enjoyed it and I can't wait to see what happens next.

2 comments:

  1. This sounds like an interesting book! It's been a while since I've picked up a good fantasy set in the modern day realm. I'm definitely going to have to check it out!
    Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I think you'll enjoy this one too :)

      Delete

Hi there! I hope you liked my post! I'd love to hear your thoughts, so if you'd like to drop me a little message/comment, that would probably make my day! :) Thanks for visiting my blog!