Saturday, April 2, 2016

Day 21

Title: Day 21

Author: Kass Morgan

First Published: September 16th 2014

Series: The 100 #2

Genre: YA, Sci-Fi, Dystopia

Available As: Hardcover, paperback, ebook

Pages: 320

My Copy: Physical copy

My Rating: 8.5/10

Goodreads Summary 

No one has set foot on Earth in centuries -- until now. 

It's been 21 days since the hundred landed on Earth. They're the only humans to set foot on the planet in centuries...or so they thought. Facing an unknown enemy, Wells attempts to keep the group together. Clarke strikes out for Mount Weather, in search of other Colonists, while Bellamy is determined to rescue his sister, no matter the cost. And back on the ship, Glass faces an unthinkable choice between the love of her life and life itself. In this pulse-pounding sequel to Kass Morgan's The 100, secrets are revealed, beliefs are challenged, and relationships are tested. And the hundred will struggle to survive the only way they can -- together.

After being on Earth for 21 days, danger is still out there. The 100 are not alone. There are Earthborns - those who did not leave and survived the Cataclysm. As Earthborns begin to kill off some of the 100, it's only a matter of time before a full scale conflict breaks out...

Clarke is one of the main protagonists in the 100, but she is not my favourite. Her skills from her medical training is definitely valuable, but she isn't really that good at other things. One, I feel that Kass Morgan is trying to make her the strong, perfect female protagonist, but it just rubs me the wrong way. She's likeable, yes, but her character is just so bland. I don't really like her.

I'm really shipping Wells and Sasha though! The two are an unlikely couple - the son of the Chancellor and the daughter of the leader of Earthborns. It would be two clashing backgrounds, but they make it work. I'm glad that Wells has a really open mind and he is willing to work with Earthborns to figure things out. Unfortunately, his welcoming attitude towards Earthborns have caused conflicts between him and the 100, especially Graham. In Day 21, there is a strong theme of Lord of the Flies, like I've mentioned earlier in the previous book. Graham is always challenging Wells,  and it's obvious he wants to take control using more violent methods.

Doesn't Bellamy remind you of an impulsive teenager? Even though he isn't a teenager. He is a bit older than the rest of them, around 20 if memory serves me correctly. He's strong-headed, impulsive and loud. Gentle to the ones he loves, he's always ready to jump in and stop danger coming to any of them. His relationship with Clarke is cute, but unfortunately, I don't ship it as much as I should. Why? Because I don't like Clarke (sorry).

But guess who else I do ship? Glass and Luke! Yay! They're really cute together and they work well as a team. Although their relationship has had their ups and downs, they stick together no matter what. I'm certain that deep down, Luke loves Glass with all his heart, even after what Camille told him. Ah, true love :)

But whoa! Major cliffhanger at the end! *Spoiler alert* The Colony is coming to Earth! All of them! That won't bode well with the Earthborns or the 100. I'm sure there are still many scores to settle between the 100 and the citizens. How will they survive? Is Earth even still safe? I guess we'll have to wait and see... ;) *Spoiler over*

I can't wait to read the next (and last?) book! Then, maybe I can start the TV series and compare the two. Have you guys read the 100? What do you think of it?

My Chosen Quote
"We live not for ourselves."

2 comments:

  1. I actually had no idea this was a three-book series! I always figured it was one very long series, kind of like Outlanders or Throne of Glass or something! Hmm, Clarke as the "perfect" and strong female character? As great as it sounds, I agree with you that it seems a bit bland. Isn't everyone trying to be like that? It's like a stereotype trap some people are falling into!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep! But I heard that the TV Clarke is completely different! Fingers crossed...

      Delete

Hi there! I hope you liked my post! I'd love to hear your thoughts, so if you'd like to drop me a little message/comment, that would probably make my day! :) Thanks for visiting my blog!