Friday, December 30, 2016

Gemina

Title: Gemina

Author: Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff 

First Published: October 18th 2016

Series: The Illuminae Files #2

Genre: YA, Sci-Fi

Available As: Hardcover, paperback, ebook

Pages: 608

My Copy: Physical copy 

My Overall Rating: 9/10

Goodreads Summary
Moving to a space station at the edge of the galaxy was always going to be the death of Hanna’s social life. Nobody said it might actually get her killed.

The sci-fi saga that began with the breakout bestseller Illuminae continues on board the Jump Station Heimdall, where two new characters will confront the next wave of the BeiTech assault. 

Hanna is the station captain’s pampered daughter; Nik the reluctant member of a notorious crime family. But while the pair are struggling with the realities of life aboard the galaxy's most boring space station, little do they know that Kady Grant and the Hypatia are headed right toward Heimdall, carrying news of the Kerenza invasion.

When an elite BeiTech strike team invades the station, Hanna and Nik are thrown together to defend their home. But alien predators are picking off the station residents one by one, and a malfunction in the station's wormhole means the space-time continuum might be ripped in two before dinner. Soon Hanna and Nik aren’t just fighting for their own survival; the fate of everyone on the Hypatia—and possibly the known universe—is in their hands.

But relax. They've totally got this. They hope.

Once again told through a compelling dossier of emails, IMs, classified files, transcripts, and schematics, Gemina raises the stakes of the Illuminae Files, hurling readers into an enthralling new story that will leave them breathless.


I bought this book at the start of November, but I've only managed to squeeze out time for 608 pages worth of amazing. This is book blew me away! And I thought Illuminae was thrilling enough. I'd say the events in Gemina are about 25x worse than the events in Illuminae. No more creepy virus, but now? Creepy worms. I don't know about you, but I'd rather deal with the virus. I hate bugs *shudders*

This time, Hanna and Nik are the main characters. When I first heard about this, I was slightly disappointed because I thought that Kady, AIDAN and Ezra weren't going to be in it, but this disappointment was quickly resolved. Yes, they do play a role in this book, but not as large of one. I was so excited when AIDAN finally came into the plot, because like I mentioned in my post on Illuminae, AIDAN is my favourite. I don't care that he isn't an actual living character.

Kady and Hanna are both quite different. Both are strong, sassy female characters, but other than that, they quite contrast each other. I quite like both of them, but I'd say I like Kady a bit more. Kady is strong in hacking and computer science, while Hanna is better at arts. I'd they they are equally good at getting out of sticky spots - Kady had it bad, but Hanna had more pressure weighing on her actions.  If she failed, she would *spoiler alert* destroy two universes. No big deal. *spoiler over*

Nik and Ezra are like polar opposites, one being part of the mafia and the other being a former-soldier, but it's cool that they all end up in the same team - the Illuminae Group. Ezra is more serious and level-headed than Nik, since Nik is a lot more flirty and humorous. I don't have a favourite between the two of them though - both balance each other out.

In Gemina, we dive into more sci-fi territory, and it can be quite confusing for the inexperienced, though Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff do a good job at explaining it all. Paradoxes, parallel universes, wormholes... All interesting to read about! I rarely read about this type of sic-fi, because it's so easy to get it wrong and mess up the whole plot. However, in Gemina, in written well.

I really love this series, because of its unique format and plot. I can't wait to read the next book, to see how BeiTech ends up being destroyed! More please :)



My Chosen Quote
“It’s not about what I say, right? It’s what I do that matters here.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi there! I hope you liked my post! I'd love to hear your thoughts, so if you'd like to drop me a little message/comment, that would probably make my day! :) Thanks for visiting my blog!